Department of Mechanics: Vacancies: UCEEB Postdocs
The Czech Technical University in Prague - University Center for Energy Efficient Buildings (UCEEB) offers one post-doctoral position in the field of modeling, simulation, assessment and optimization of multi-functional materials and structures.
Start date: as soon as possible after 20 January 2015
Contract duration: until 30 June 2015
UCEEB in brief
Launched in October 2012, UCEEB is a newly established joint project of five faculties of the Czech Technical University in Prague. The mission of the Center is to perform high-level interdisciplinary research in the field of energy savings in buildings, utilizing a simulation- based engineering approach. The theoretical research activities will be systematically complemented with experimental validation, performed in a full-scale setting. This will provide unique data on materials, structures, and systems of intelligent control, including on their impact on the built and natural environment. Development of the Center is supported by the European Union through the Operational Program Research and Development for Innovations, project No. CZ.1.05/2.1.00/03.0091.
The present call is related to one topic aligned with the research activities of UCEEB. The topic will be supervised by a mentor from the Faculty of Civil Engineering of the Czech Technical University in Prague, with long-term experience in the relevant fields of research. The project is supported by the European Union, through the Operational Program Research and Development for Innovations, project No. CZ.1.07/2.3.00/30.0034.
The mentors involved in the project include:
- Petr Konvalinka (full professor, Department of Mechanics and Head of the Experimental Centre, firstname.lastname@example.org), an expert in experimental and numerical investigation of civil engineering materials and structures;
Ultra High Performance Fiber-Reinforced Concrete (UHPFRC) in different loading conditions
Mentor: Petr Konvalinka
Description: The research work will be focused on experimental and numerical response of UHPFRC under intermediate strain rates developed in machine simulating impact. In addition mechanical parameters such as compressive, direct tensile and flexural strength and modulus of elasticity at high strain rates will be measured. The energy absorption capacity of both notched and un-notched beams subjected to quasi-static and impact loading will be compared.
Specific requirements: Depending on the specific background of the candidate, experience in experimental and numerical investigation of mechanical parameters of civil engineering materials and structures.
We are looking for candidates who
- hold a Ph.D. degree (or equivalent) in the research area related to the selected topic dated from 29 March 2008 or later,
- have an ability to perform independent research with a strong emphasis on publications in refereed journals,
- possess excellent communication skills and written/verbal knowledge of the English language.
- the possibility to work in a newly established dynamic and ambitious research center with the state-of-the art equipment,
- a contract with a duration until 30 June 2015,
- a gross salary of 56,000 CZK per month (approximately 2,050 Euro or 2,800 USD; the average gross salary in the Czech Republic is about 900 Euro),
- a partial coverage of the mandatory social and medical insurance by the employer (the employee has to contribute 6.5% of the gross salary to pension insurance, 4.5% to health insurance and, according to the currently valid legislation, approximately 16.5% is deduced as income tax),
- the coverage of travel expenses of up to 55,000 CZK per year,
- the coverage of operating costs of up to 40,000 CZK per year,
- a three-month internship at a foreign university or a company.
For more information, please contact the mentor using the e-mail address specified above.
Interested candidates are invited to send their applications directly to the relevant mentor no later than 26 September 2014. The application must contain
- a Curriculum Vitae (one page),
- a motivation letter (two pages), stating personal goals and research interests in relation to the research topic,
- a detailed list of publications,
- two letters of recommendation sent by the referees directly to the mentor (with detailed contact information: email, telephone number and address), one of them written by the previous supervisor,
- a certificate of proficiency in English (CAE, TOEFL or equivalent) or an electronic copy of the candidate’s Ph.D. thesis written in English.
Both national and international applications to this advertisement are welcome. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until all the positions are filled. Promising candidates will be contacted by e-mail, and may be invited for an on-line interview.
- 18 January 2015, 24:00: Deadline for application submissions,
- 19 January 2015: Review of applications,
- 20 January 2015: Final selection of the candidates by the selection committee (the meeting of the selection committee has to postponed till 27 January 2015).
- Publications in refereed journals (50%),
- Assessment of the mentor (25%),
- Quality of the motivation letter (25%).